Sunday, October 17, 2010

Small River Musky

Went for a little road trip with a few boys, to this little river that holds alot of musky at this time of the year. I remember a few years back going for the first time and it was a money spot. We caught 5 muskies and 1 pike. Every thing was between 25-35 inches. Biggest fish that year was a musky of 6.2 lbs. Couldn't wait to hit that river with my kayak. Got there early morning around 8:30, walked through a field for abit and...Oh, that's no good! The bridge we used to fish from was complete under water and was creating a water fall effect.

I launched my kayak and worked my way up stream for about an hour. Fan casted both side of the river all the way down, turned around and started trolling in the middle all the way up. Got back to shore and graped something to eat. While I was eating, one of my friends got two straight hits right in front of him with 5 feet of line in the water, both times the fish spitting the lure out. He took a break from the spot, and two of the other guys moved in for the kill. They pounded the spot with cast after cast for about 30 minutes and nothing. By that time, I had launch upstream and just crossed over to fish the other side of the bridge. While on the other side, my friend moved back in where he missed his hits earlier, let 5 feet of line out right between a rock and a little weed bed, Wham! She was hooked this time. Measured 34 inches and weight in at 8.8 lbs.


After that I got back in the Yak and trolled upstream for a little while, I turned around and fan casted the shore line all the way back. We decided to call it quits at that spot and try another spot close by for an hour or so. Nothing at that spot came out of the water not even a bite. I'm wondering if the water level hurt us this year! Oh well, at least someone caught something. Nice fish Serge!

No comments: